Sunday, 22 April 2012

A bit of this a bit of that

So quite a few things have happened since the last time I posted on here:

Apartment:
We have moved into an apartment in Buffalo and live in a really nice neighborhood called Elmwood Village. The move proved interesting as the couch we have could not fit up the stairs! Thankfully my friend Kristiina offered to swap couches while we are here so we rented a Uhaul and two men to help us swap couches - all in a day in the life of a wife of an International Manager I guess! The apartment is great, I am able to walk to yoga and there is a main street with coffee shops and stores just around the corner. Below are some photos of our apartment.








New York City:
So the day after we signed our lease Ross received a phone call asking him how soon he could be in New York City, and then the next day he was on a plane. Since he had to be in New York City for work for about a month I joined him a week later (after the couch fiasco). We stayed in a really nice central location and were able to pretty much walk everywhere.

Me driving the U-Haul

I took the opportunity to play tourist and was able to get tickets to see the Daily Show with Jon Stewart, as well as the Dave Letterman Show. I spent quite a fair amount of my time in lines but it was worth it since the tickets are free and it was really interesting to see whats happening behind the scenes of the shows. Ross and I had been wanting to see the Book Of Mormon (musical) for quite a while so one day I went to the theatre and stood for 3 and a half hours for standing room tickets to the show. I also entered the lottery they hold everyday before the show but there were about 200 other people entered in that and to no avail. I managed to get the second last set of standing room tickets to that evenings show which started in less than an hour so I called Ross to come and meet me and then I frantically crammed down a Big Mac :) The show was hilarious and worth the wait and the tired feet.



We also took the opportunity to see as many friends in New York as we could and were able to meet them at different Anthony Bourdain restaurant recommendations around the city.

 The new World Trade Center

The memorial for 9/11
 Anniversary dinner at "Braai" the South African restaurant in NYC

Lunch at the famous Katz Deli

Central Park stroll

Mexico:
I came back to Buffalo a week before Ross to get the apartment unpacked before leaving for a family wedding in Mexico. We spent the week in Sayulita, roughly 40 minutes north of Puerto Vallarta. We stayed with Ross' family and had an amazing week suntanning, ATVing, zip lining, eating, and of course - margarita drinking.

 Eating a delicious shrimp burrito upon arrival

Our resident Iguana "Sanchez" looking after us

 The amazing house we stayed in



 The delicious "Chocobanana"

 Ross embracing the local trends

 Pretty darn funny

 Our fishing vessel being pushed into the water


Me catching a Pelican

The wedding was absolutely beautiful and took place on the beach with the reception following on a cliff top where there were hand rolled cigars and fresh made churros.


 Shaking the Maracas at the wedding

 Cigar rolling station


Churros!

We wish it didn't have to come to an end so quickly but Ross and I made sure to eat as many fish tacos as possible while we were there.

And Now:
We are back in Buffalo and have taken a day trip to Ikea to get some essentials (Ross worst nightmare) and have been hanging out with friends. I have been trying out new recipes from my favorite cookbooks (Jamie Oliver) and have been continuing with my yoga. We are planning to have a belated house warming party but are waiting for a nice warm weekend as we have an outdoor barbecue area we'd like to use. Teaching jobs in Buffalo are few and far between but I will be returning to work at the summer camp in Switzerland this year where my brother will be joining me, and Ross for a few weeks!

Thats all for now ~ till next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment